January 13, 2007

never, never, never give up

Walking past a storefront, I see a magnet:
“'Never, never, never give up.’ – Winston Churchill.”
I go inside, pick up the magnet, go to the counter.
I wait.
Three shopkeepers, three people ignoring me.
They walk past me. They talk to each other. They answer the phone. They talk to other people.
I look at the magnet.
“Never, never, never give up.”
Who am I kidding?
I drop the magnet. Pick up my bag. Walk out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that say. Winston was one of the greatest speakers this world has ever created. Things were different for good ol' Winston. Things were much easier/more simple at that time then they are today. I think that in nowadays Winston would say something along the lines of: "Never never never give up. Unless it seems hopeless and you know it is not going to *really* work. Or, until you've exhausted all possible options for a contractive solution. Now get back on your feet".

Or so much better then Winston. Kanye West who said it best in a song:
"...Swear I should be locked up for stupid shit that I did
But I'm a champion, so I turned tragedy to triumph
Make music that's fire, spit my soul through the wire."

As we know, the only person one can really kid at the end is one's self.