October 27, 2006

day 2 or 3, not sure

We are in the mountains now. It is quiet now. We also talk in quieter voices. We are settling into Baghsu.

After arriving by beaten-up mountain cab, we look for our hotel. I had booked several on "Bagshu Rd," but we soon learn that while Baghsu Rd is a path that leads to Baghsu, it is not actually in Baghsu. So, we begin looking for a room door to door.

I would not say I am extremely picky. Particularly needy. But I do have an idea in my mind of where I would like to settle. It should not look like a prison basement or an escapee hideaway. There should be hot water at some point in the day. I prefer a view of a mountain to a view of a tin roof. The walls should be painted a happy color (I am open to any in the spectrum of happy colors). And I should feel like I am in the Tibetan village of Baghsu, living in harmony with my surroundings. When I find that for under $10 per night, I'll take it.

One hour later we're unpacking at Sky House. Bright yellow walls, bright green window frames, strong smell of cow shit at the entrance, mooing, side-mountain view, rather obstructed but by local houses, and all that for 200 rupees ($5) per night. Home.

No comments: