I am living an easy life the hard way. It seems I keep missing the point. I am aware of too much. Everything is in constant conflict somehow, if not this hour, next hour. My attention to detail is microscopic, but there is a fault in the details that appear more prominent to me. I am torn, all the time. I am wrong, even in being right, because I am in truth, an impossible person.
There has been something off in my understanding of what this life is. Of how to make priorities. Of how to make decisions. I keep believing in something more, in rewards that come when truth is made to matter more than priorities or decisions or fears or needs. I have believed in rewards that come and bless everyone you love, when you dare to live according to your cosmic, heartfelt beliefs.
But it seems I have been wrong. Life is coincidence, and luck, and hope, and determination. Life is action, and building, and gritting your teeth to keep your eye on the ball. Beautiful things happen. Energies abound, and lead us. Karma has its gentle way. But we, we are pinballs in an enormous and random game. We give meaning to things when they are amazing. We take meaning away when realities shift. We perceive our perceptions to be true, and bond with people who see things the same way. We have a hard time bridging perception gaps with others, because we imagine that there is a right and a wrong, and life is too short to tolerate other people’s ignorance.
We want love, but we do not know how to find it, or how to keep it when we do. We look for soul mates. Sometimes we find them. Sometimes we don’t. We look to our friends for support, because they can love us without having to live with us. And we somehow fail to understand that there is a reason we are not married to our friends, and fault our lovers for not being more like them.
We blame people, cities, jobs, situations, for our unhappiness. And it may in part be true. But contentment, we will eventually learn, only comes from within.
I have met many people now, in different stages of their lives, with different problems, different dreams, different tragedies and disappointments. I think I have learned something that I would have never accepted just a year ago.
It is not everyone’s destiny to be happy. It is just everyone’s hope.
The rest is random. But while we're healthy, we at least get to roll the dice.
June 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I can relate to this. I often feel that life is like a game that came in an attractive shiny box, but had no instructions. Just when I think I have figured out the rules, someone changes them again!
yup. and slowly we begin to understand, as the philosophers said we would, that true wisdom is understanding that you know nothing.
Jem.. i love Sound of Splinters. I go there for inspiration.
Dear girl, I'm sure you're not an impossible person, you're just a philosopher! But unfortunately, in this material world, philosophers are not trendy anymore...
As Robert Browning wrote in "Dramatis Personae":
"Each states the law and fact and face of the thing /
just as he'd have them, find what he thinks fit,/
is blind to what missuits him, just records / what makes his case out, quite ignores the rest."
Post a Comment